What are Protective Behaviors?
Protective behaviors are what students should be doing to stay safe! Here are some non-judgemental, practical and proactive action steps to empower students in their decisions.
Before going out for the evening:
- Charge your cell phone
- Identify a buddy for the duration of the night
- Plan a safe ride home with your buddy (designated driver, SafeRide, SafeBus, Ride Share)
While out for the evening:
- Abstain from drinking
- Alternate non-alcoholic beverages with alcoholic beverages
- Avoid drinking games
- Check-in with your buddy regularly
- Do not exceed more than 4 drinks the entire time
- Eat before drinking
- Have a friend let you know when you have had enough
- Keep track of how many drinks consumed
- Pace drinks to one or fewer per hour
- Stay with the same group of friends the entire time
- Stick with only one kind of alcohol
- Return home with your buddy via designated driver, SafeRide, Ride Share
Stay In The Blue
If you choose to drink, refer to the charts below to maintain a safe Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).