A group of three KU students in front of Wescoe Hall holing a sign that reads "9 out of 10 Jayhawks approve of getting medical help for a friend who has too much to drink"

Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of consuming large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death.

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning:

  • Unconscious or passed out and cannot be awakened
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Irregular, slow breathing (8 breaths or less per minute)
  • Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin

If you or your friends are experiencing any of these symptoms while intoxicated, seek immediate help.

What to Do:

  • Call 911
  • Stay with your friend until help arrives
  • Turn your friend on his or her side
  • Monitor breathing closely

Hesitating to act can mean the difference between life and death.

What NOT to Do:

  • Leave your friend alone
  • Let your friend "sleep it off"
  • Allow your friend to drive
  • Give your friend food, liquid, medication or drugs
  • Encourage your friend to walk, run or exercise
  • Put your friend in a cold shower

You are ALWAYS doing the right thing by getting help.