Jayhawk Buddy System
Whether you are cheering on the Jayhawks at a game or celebrating a buddy’s birthday, the Jayhawk Buddy System can help you stay safe and avoid trouble.
Jayhawk Buddy System is a protective campaign designed to encourage you to make healthy choices and help your friends stay safe and avoid trouble. It is built on the longstanding tradition that Jayhawks care for one another. The campaign acknowledges that students are strongly influenced by social expectations, the environment and their personal values. Research indicates that the vast majority of students generally make healthy and responsible choices. The Jayhawk Buddy System is designed to show you that your peers and community support your responsible behavior.
- Sets the expectation for Jayhawks to be responsible and help one another.
- Reminds students of the protective measures they already employ.
- Gives students the tools to be a positive influence on their friends.
- Capitalizes on the positive and protective behaviors exhibited by most students.
- Treats peer group influence as an asset rather than a liability.
- Mobilizes the power of the positive influence of the peer group.
- Appreciates that students are more strongly influenced by relationships than rules.
The intent of the Jayhawk Buddy System is to empower you to intervene when one of your friends is moving in a direction that is likely to result in arrest, injury or other undesirable consequences. The goals are for you to address your buddy while he or she is still able to listen to reason; take steps to distance, defuse, divert, or deescalate a potentially damaging situation; and encourage behaviors associated with personal and academic success.
Use the Jayhawk Buddy System toolkit to get yourself out of a sticky situation, or print out the Jayhawk Buddy System poster for tips on how to have a good time safely. And remember, always look out for your buddy.